Times You Can Observe at the CDL & ECDL
|Full-Day Program (Mon-Fri)||Half-Day Program (Tues-Fri)|
|7:30 - 12:30 PM||8:30 - 11:30 AM|
|3:00 - 5:30 PM||8:30 - 11:30 AM|
- All students must be enrolled in a course or sponsored by a faculty member.
- All student observers must sign in with their name and course number at the 2nd floor hallway of the Child Development Lab (CDL) building or at the front desk at the Early Child Development Lab (ECDL) building.
Observing at the CDL
- The observation galleries are located at the 2nd floor of the CDL.
- You must sign in upstairs before observing inside or outside at the CDL.
Observing at the ECDL
- All visitors must sign-in at the ECDL’s front desk before observing inside or outside at the ECDL.
- Always bring your photo ID to trade for a set of headphones for inside observations and for an orange observer ID tag for both inside and outside observations.
- DON’T TALK
Children can hear you through the mesh screening of the CDL observation galleries. Never use children’s names when you discuss at the CDL out of respect for the confidentiality of CDL families.
- NO FOOD/DRINK
Eating/drinking is not permitted inside the observation booths/galleries.
- NO SITTING ON OBSERVATION BOOTH COUNTERS
The counters at the ECDL are not designed to support human weight. Mirrors are located around each classroom to facilitate observations in hard-to-see corners of the room.
Plug your head phones into ECDL observation booth sound ports and dial to different stations to hear all classroom sounds.
Toddler-preschool observation booths/galleries have general classroom routines (outdoor play, snack, rest time, etc.) posted to assist students in planning their observations.
“Siblists” in observation booths/galleries provide children’s observation numbers, nicknames, birthdates, sibling information, and number of semesters at the CDL.
You can identify children by matching siblist information with older children’s name/number tags and with the pictorial directories in infant observation booths.