Program Application Form
You may apply for enrollment by submitting a form electronically.
*Academic Year August 2022-August 2023*
If you would like more than one child considered for our program, please fill out an application for each child
Tuition Determination Form
If you think you would qualify for a reduced tuition rate please complete the Online Tuition Determination Form along with your child’s application.
Admission is NOT on a first-come, first-served basis.
The CDL promotes diversity by:
- Selecting representation from student, staff, faculty, and community families.
- Selecting children of diverse age, gender, ethnicity, primary language, and income (1/3 of the families at the CDL are low-income and receive support to attend).
- Encouraging parents of children with special needs to apply
- The CDL accepts new children on an annual basis (August-August). Mid-year placements occur only as spaces become available.
- Applications are available online each January for the following program year enrollment.
- Class assignments are made from mid-April to mid-May.
- Parents are notified of enrollment decisions via email. They are either offered a position, or are notified of their child being in a “wait pool” of applicants.
- Classroom placements are made according to the age of the child on September 1st of the year of enrollment. Transitions between classrooms occur annually.
- Once a child is accepted to the CDL, enrollment for each successive year is guaranteed.
- ALL forms required by the Department of Children and Family Services and by the University of Illinois must be completed and on file before a child can attend classes at the CDL.
- Any family not initially selected for enrollment will be automatically added to our waiting pool.
- Application/enrollment indicates your awareness that CDL is a university-based laboratory school that facilitates teaching, research, and outreach activities. Families at the CDL are the recipients of multiple requests to participate in research.
- Applications received by April 1 for the upcoming school year are given full consideration during the first round of selection when all vacancies are being filled. These families will receive email notification of the status of their application shortly after the Selection Committee completes first-round selections.
- Applications received after April 1 are added to the wait pool and families are contacted only if a vacancy occurs and their child is selected to fill the vacancy. After the first round of selection, ALL applications in the wait pool for an age group are considered if a space is declined or another space opens up.
- Each school year has a separate application database. Applications are not carried over from school year to school year.
- Each child to be considered for selection and enrollment must have a separate application.
Child Development Laboratory
It is the policy of the University of Illinois to not engage in discrimination or harassment against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, genetic information, marital status, disability, sexual orientation including gender identity, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a protected veteran, and will comply with all federal and state nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action laws, orders and regulations. This nondiscrimination policy applies to the Child Development Laboratory (CDL) for child admissions, staff employment, and access to and treatment in University programs and activities.
At the CDL each child and staff member shall be recognized as an individual whose gender, abilities, personal privacy, choice of activities, and whose race, cultural, ethnic, and religious background shall be respected.
Families or CDL staff members who believe that a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign employee has subjected them to discrimination or harassment in violation of this policy should contact the Office for Access and Equity at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 333-0885.
Please click the link to see the University of Illinois System Statement on Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Other Sexual Misconduct.
No child, parent/guardian, employee, or other member of the CDL community will be subjected to retaliation as prohibited by law.
Any person who believes any child, employee, or third party or the CDL generally has engaged in conduct prohibited by Title IX or the University Sexual Misconduct Policy should report the conduct to the Title IX Coordinator. Danielle Morrison serves as the University’s Title IX Coordinator and can be contacted in person or by mail at the Title IX Office, 616 E. Green Street, Suite 214, Champaign, IL 61820; by phone at (844) 616-7978; or by email at email@example.com. The Title IX Coordinator can also assist with supportive measures and remedies. CDL parents and staff members may also report such conduct to any CDL employee, including any teacher or school administrator. Reports may also be made online using the University Reporting Form. The University prefers that all reports and complaints are in writing; however, verbal information will be accepted and processed.
Inquiries about state or federal laws protecting against discrimination or harassment based on one or more of the protected classes listed above may also be directed to one or more of the following agencies:
U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
JCK Federal Building
230 S. Dearborn Street, 37th Floor
Chicago, IL 60604
Telephone: (312) 730-1560
Facsimile: (312) 730-1576
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
Chicago District Office
JCK Federal Building
Chicago, IL 60604
Telephone: (312) 872-9744
Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR)
535 West Jefferson
Springfield, IL 62702
Telephone: (217) 785-5100
Facsimile: (217) 785-5106