Times You Can Observe at the CDL & ECDL
- CDL Building: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM and 3:00 AM–4:00 PM
- ECDL Building: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM and 3:00-4:00 PM
Please Note: All students must be enrolled in a course or sponsored by a faculty member.
- All student observers must sign in at the front desk of the Early Child Development Lab as well as trade your icard/ID to obtain an access card to our observation booths for the building they will be conducting observations at.
- The Early Child Development Lab (ECDL) building is located at 1005 West Nevada Street Urbana, IL –
- All student observers must sign out prior to leaving the facility.
- All observers must be wearing an orange observer tag.
Observing at the CDL
The observation galleries are located at the 2nd floor of the CDL. Once you receive your access card from the front desk at ECDL, you can access these observation galleries. Please be sure to return card after use.
Observing at the ECDL
All visitors must sign-in at the ECDL’s front desk before observing inside or outside at the ECDL. Please bring your icard as well as headphones with an aux cord to connect to the speaker system in the observation booths.
- Quiet Please: Children can hear you through the mesh screening of the CDL observation galleries.
- Confidentiality: Never use children’s names when you discuss at the CDL out of respect for the confidentiality of CDL families.
- Food and Drink: Eating and drinking is NOT permitted inside the observation booths/galleries.
- Please Do Not Sit On The Counters: The counters at the ECDL are not designed to support human weight. Mirrors are located around each classroom to facilitate observations in hard-to-see corners of the room.
- Photographs and Videos: Requests to photograph or video during an observation must be completed at the same time the Class Project Request is submitted by the course instructor
Resources for Observers
“Siblists” in observation booths/galleries provide children’s observation numbers, nicknames, birthdates, sibling information, and number of semesters at the CDL. You can identify children by matching siblist information with older children’s name/number tags and with the pictorial directories in infant observation booths.
Toddler-preschool observation booths/galleries have general classroom routines (outdoor play, snack, rest time, etc.) posted to assist students in planning their observations.
Plug your head phones into ECDL observation booth sound ports and dial to different stations to hear all classroom sounds.